From July 1, 2021: Withdrawal and no new issuance of household registration books for household separation in Vietnam

Normally, when people carry out the procedures for Household separation, they will be issued a new household registration book by the residence registration office. But from July 1, 2021, the person carrying out the household separation procedure in Vietnam shall have their household registration book revoked and not be issued a new one according to Circular 55/2021/TT-BCA stipulating regulations on a number of articles and measures to implement the Law on Residence.

From July 1, 2021: Withdrawal and no new issuance of household registration books for household seperation in Vietnam (Illustration)

Clause 2, Article 26 of Vietnam's Circular 55 stipulates as follows:

When a citizen carries out a procedure for permanent residence registration, change to information in the residence database, household separation, annulment of permanent residence registration, temporary residence registration, temporary residence extension or annulment of temporary residence registration that changes information in their family registry or temporary residence registry, the registration authority shall revoke the issued family registry or temporary residence registry, update information in the residence database in compliance with regulations of the Residence Law and not issue a new family registry or temporary residence registry or reissue the old family registry or temporary residence registry to the citizen.

According to this regulation, when people carry out the procedure of household separation leading to changes in information in the household registration book, the household registration book will be revoked and will not be granted a new or re-issued household registration book.

In addition, from July 1, 2021, household members may separate their households to register for permanent residence at the same lawful residence when meeting the following conditions:

- Have full civil act capacity. In case many members jointly register to separate households to form a new household, at least one of those members must have full civil act capacity.

- With the consent of the householder or owner of the lawful residence, unless a member of the household that registers for household separation is a divorced husband or wife but still can use the same lawful residence.

- The place of permanent residence of the household is not in the case where the new permanent residence is not registered as prescribed.

Household separation dossier includes:

- The declaration of change of residence information, clearly stating the consent for the separation of the household of the householder, the owner of the lawful residence, unless there is a written consent.

- Papers and documents evidencing the divorce and the continued use of that lawful residence (for the case of separation of households after the divorce).

Procedures for household separation

- The registrant for separation of household shall submit the application to the residence registration agency.

- The residence registration agency is responsible for appraising and updating information about households related to the separation into the database on residence and notifying the registrant of the updated information ( within 05 working days from the date of receipt of complete and valid dossier). In case of refusal to settle the household separation, it must reply in writing and clearly state the reasons therefor.

Bao Ngoc


14 lượt xem
Notable new policies of Vietnam to be effective as of the start of April 2023

Criteria for participating in official recruitment exams; 1 additional occupational disease covered by social insurance; requirements for credit institutions ...

Tax officials of Vietnam to stop requiring paper household registration books during administrative tax procedures

On March 24, 2023, the General Department of Taxation promulgated Official Dispatch No.

3 cases of motor vehicles eligible for exemption from inspection on the inspection line; answers to questions about update of chip-based citizen ID cards ...

  • Address: 19 Nguyen Gia Thieu, Vo Thi Sau Ward, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
    Phone: (028) 7302 2286
Parent company: THU VIEN PHAP LUAT Ltd.
Editorial Director: Mr. Bui Tuong Vu - Tel. 028 3935 2079
P.702A , Centre Point, 106 Nguyen Van Troi, Ward 8, Phu Nhuan District, HCM City;